Saturday, June 13, 2009

Internet Safety - Watching

I have found some good resources to help with understanding what we can do to be smart about using the internet and things to be aware of about internet use. It required me to reflect on my own use. I also found one way that we can help kids realize how they can stay safe on the internet, here is a cartoon for teaching kids Faux Pas.

The other program I watched was very telling, looking at it both from the perspective of a child growing up in this world, and as an adult learning how to best help the next generation use the technology available to them for their advantage and not to be taken advantage of. Here are some of my thoughts on the program:
Section Two was pretty good to watch as an educator... I think the last comment about being private and being discrete was very poignant. Watching this Frontline program made me reflect on my own internet use, and to ensure that the pictures I put up, the 'updates' I make to my profile are those that are completely and entirely me and in harmony with those principles I believe in. I liked what part three said about being participants in the technology available to us. We each need to take responsibility for what we do, and what we get involved in. Part four had an interesting comment to make: "You forget who can see the things you are writing, you forget the impact it may have on your life and others. To you it is you and the internet and those you who want to read it, not necessarily everyone who does." I agree with the comment that you should not allow computers in the room of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment