Saturday, June 13, 2009

Internet Safety - Doing

Having a conversation with my Mom about internet safety and what to do to help keep your children safe was an interesting conversation because I was listening to her comments both from the perspective of her child living under those conditions, and also a learning adult trying to determine what it is that is best for my own future children, and in my classroom. She doesn't have any more children at home, but she certainly had to make those decisions as her children were growing up because they were the first generation that had grown up with the internet. We decided that each child and situation is going to be different and you are going to have to take many factors into consideration when making such decisions. But that one practice that is going to help across the board is just to have open communication about the dangers, securities, and possibilities about having the internet and a computer in the home. We discussed that the rules should be established up front, and what boundaries there are - for both children and parents. I was appreciative to the readings and the primetime show I watched so that I had something to start the conversation with, and something to contribute to the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment